Tuesday, March 10, 2009

early mornings



You see in every movie where farm life exists...the one stable character in the movie seems to be the morning rooster.


He never misses a line and always crows as the sun creeps up giving us the illusion that he is the alarm clock of all alarm clocks .


A vital part to the way of life out there.


Well, recently I've moved out here to the Foothills region of Alberta, and come to know a broader art community.


They advertise Spring and Fall Art Shows and Sales yet they limit your prices to $100 for the show...


My art is large and sometimes the canvases alone cost $40 and then the paint is $14 per tube....


I donated a painting for a silent Auction hoping it would grab at least $100 for the piece I listed a minimum price of $40 on it...but alas...no one bid on it....they would rather have wooden bird houses and crocheted dolls that sit on your bed.....


I ended up buying it back because it was my favorite painting...


It was The Rooster....with the soft amber hues of dawn behind him....


I paid the $100 plus a donation to the organization because I beleived in it...


.....$500 actually...


and was I frustrated later to know that an event with over 75 people...


only raised $3500 and I provided $500.


And they all strut around like rich wealthy farmers.


Well, The Rooster struts once again in my farmhouse and he's worth $500 to me.

The dawn looks beautiful here...and even though we don't have chickens...I can still hear My Rooster crowing in the morning.